Home » Psychology, Counseling & Social Work Licensing Requirements » Vermont

Vermont State Licensing Requirements

greetings from vermont
greetings from vermont

Vermont is a great place to study to become a social worker, therapist, counselor or psychologist.

But what degree should you pursue, and what will you need to do to be licensed to practice in the helping professions?

If you would like to get the education, training and skills to help people cope with life issues like depression and anxiety, help them overcome more serious mental-health problems, or help disadvantaged populations, keep reading to learn about going to psychology school in Vermont.

Getting Licensed to Practice in Vermont

Licensing is required before you can become a practicing social worker, psychologist, therapist or counselor. Licensure protects people from less-than-competent practitioners.

Once you’ve earned your degree, you’ll need to pass a state and/or national exam and meet other licensing requirements in your particular field of study. Here are some of the requirements to practice in the following fields, according to the Vermont Secretary of State. Make sure to consult the Secretary of State website to find the full requirements.


  • Doctoral degree in psychology from an institution of higher learning accredited by the American Psychological Association, or another approved accrediting institution
  • Passing score on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)
  • Two years of supervised clinical practice by a licensed psychologist who is familiar with the nature of the individual’s clinical activities and who monitors the quality of the work and contributes to the enhancement of the applicant’s knowledge of self and of clinical work.

Mental Health Counselor

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in counseling from an approved educational program from an accredited educational institution, which includes a supervised practicum, internship, or field experience in mental health counseling
  • Successful completion of both the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) and the National Counselor Examination (NCE)
  • 3,000 hours (at least two years) of supervised work experience in mental health counseling after the completion of master’s degree

Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy accredited by both a regional educational accrediting body and the commission, or by the U.S. Department of Education and approved by the board
  • A passing score on the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB)
  • Two years of supervised work experience in marriage and family therapy under the supervision of either a licensed marriage and family therapist or licensed clinical social worker

Clinical Social Worker

  • Master’s degree or higher in social work from a CSWE-accredited program
  • 3,000 hours of supervised, post-graduate experience in the practice of social work supervised by a qualified supervisor who is familiar with the nature of the applicant’s clinical activities and who monitors the quality of the work and contributes to the enhancement of self-knowledge and of clinical work.
  • Pass the national exam administered by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)

For more details, consult the Vermont Secretary of State website.

Making the Most of Your Degree

Even though it might seem early, once you start your studies, you should learn about the professional associations that accept students. Membership in organizations such as the Vermont Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers offers great benefits:

  • Access to job databases and community resources
  • Information about legislation that affects your work, and what you can do in response to new laws affecting your specialty area
  • Forums for interacting with peers and experts in your field
  • Consultation with advocates in your profession regarding legal and ethical issues

So which field of psychology is right for you: counselor, therapist, social worker or psychologist? Make sure to get off on the right foot, and research your degree options and licensure requirements early to ensure that you’ll be efficient in your studies, won’t have any glitches when it comes to applying for licensure, and can get into the right helping profession for you.

Source: www.sec.state.vt.us/professional-regulation.aspx