Utah State Licensing Requirements


Utah is a great place for many reasons: our natural beauty, the mountains and our unbelievable national parks. Another one is all the helping hands that study to become a social workers, therapists, counselors and psychologists and have the welfare of others at heart. But what degree will you need to have, and what do you need to get licensed to practice in the helping professions?

If you want to get the knowledge, training and skills to help people cope with life issues such as depression, OCD and anorexia, overcome mental-health problems, and improve the quality of their lives, keep reading to learn about going to psychology school in Utah.

Getting Licensed to Practice in Utah

Licensing is a crucial step to become a social worker, psychologist, therapist or counselor.

Once you’ve earned your degree, you’ll need to pass a state and/or national exam and meet other licensing requirements in your field of study. Here are some of the requirements to practice in the following fields, according to the Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL). Make sure to consult the DOPL to find full, up-to-date requirements.


  • Doctoral degree in psychology
  • 4,000 hours of psychology training under the supervision of a psychologist supervisor (at least two years) after the completion of your education requirements
  • If you’ll be working in “mental health therapy,” successful completion of at least 1,000 hours of supervised training in mental health therapy after completion of master’s-level education in psychology (this can be part of the 4,000 hours)
  • Passing score on the Examination for the Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)

Clinical Mental Health Counselors

  • Master’s or doctoral degree in professional counseling
  • Passing score on the National Counselor Exam (NCE) and the National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE)
  • 4,000 hours of post-graduate counseling experience supervised by a qualified mentor after the completion of your education requirements

Marriage and Family Therapists

  • Master’s or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE)
  • Passing score on the Examination of Marital and Family Therapy
  • 4,000 hours of post-graduate counseling experience supervised by a qualified mentor after the completion of your education requirements

Social Workers (LCSWs)

To become a licensed clinical social worker in Utah, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in social work (depending on your level of licensure)
  • A passing score on the Clinical Examination of the ASWB or the Clinical Social Workers Examination of the State of California
  • 4,000 hours of supervised clinical social work and mental health therapy training after the completion of your education requirements

Making the Most of Your Degree

While you’re in college, you may want to learn about the professional associations that accept students. Membership in organizations such as the Utah Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers offers great benefits:

  • Access to job databases and community resources
  • Information about legislation that affects your work, and what you can do in response to new laws affecting your specialty area
  • Forums for interacting with peers and experts in your field
  • Consultation with advocates in your profession regarding legal and ethical issues

So which field of psychology is right for you: counselor, therapist, social worker or psychologist? Make sure to get off on the right foot, and research your degree options and licensure requirements early so that you’ll be efficient in your studies and can get into the right helping profession for you.

Source: www.dopl.utah.gov