Nebraska State Licensing Requirements


Nebraska has many opportunities to study to become a social worker, therapist, counselor or psychologist. But what degree should you pursue, and what do you need to do to be licensed to practice in the helping professions?

If you would like to get the training and skills to help people cope with life issues, overcome mental-health problems, and just generally improve the quality of their lives, keep reading to learn about going to psychology school in Nebraska.

Getting Licensed to Practice in Nebraska

Licensing is an important step before you can become a practicing social worker, psychologist, therapist or counselor.

Once you’ve earned your degree, you’ll need to pass a state and/or national exam and meet other licensing requirements in your particular field of study. Here are some of the requirements to practice in the following fields, according to the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Make sure to consult the DHHS to find the full, most up-to-date requirements.


  • Doctoral degree in psychology from an institution of higher education accredited by the American Psychological Association, or another accrediting institution
  • Two years of supervised professional experience. The first year of supervised experience will be in the form of an internship meeting the standards of accreditation adopted by the American Psychological Association, and one year will be supervised post-doctoral experience.
  • Passing score on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)

Certified Professional Counselor (CPC)

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in counseling from an approved educational program
  • A passing grade on the National Board of Certified Counselor’s National Counselor Examination (NBCC/NCE) or the National Clinical Mental Health Counselor Examination (NBCC/NCMHCE) with a minimum score set at the National Cut Score
  • 3,000 hours of experience in professional counseling after receiving a master’s degree

Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in marriage and family therapy approved by the Board
  • A passing score on the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB)
  • 3,000 hours of supervised experience in marriage and family therapy under a qualified supervisor

Certified Master Social Worker (CMSW)

  • Master’s degree or higher in social work from a CSWE-accredited program
  • 3,000 hours of supervised, post-graduate experience in the practice of social work under the supervision of a certified master social worker
  • Pass the clinical-level national exam administered by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)

For more details, consult the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.

Making the Most of Your Degree

Once you begin your degree and realize that your chosen field is really right for you, you should think about joining the pertinent professional associations that accept students. Membership in organizations such as the Nebraska Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers offers great benefits:

  • Access to job databases and community resources
  • Information about legislation that affects your work
  • Forums for interacting with peers and experts in your field
  • Consultation with advocates in your profession regarding legal and ethical issues

So which field of psychology is right for you: counselor, therapist, social worker or psychologist? Get off on the right foot, and research your degree options and licensure requirements early to make sure you’ll be efficient in your studies and can more easily get into the helping profession that’s right for you.