Home » Psychology, Counseling & Social Work Licensing Requirements » Idaho

Idaho State Licensing Requirements

greetings from idaho
greetings from idaho

Idaho state has much to offer those who want to join the ranks of psychologists, social workers and counselors. But what degree will you need to pursue, and what do you need to do to get licensed to practice in the helping professions?

If you would like to get the training and skills to help people cope with life issues (ADHD, depression, poverty), overcome mental-health problems, and just generally improve the quality of their lives, keep reading to learn about going to psychology school in Idaho.

Getting Licensed to Practice in Idaho

Licensing is a required step before you can become a practicing social worker, psychologist, therapist or counselor.

Once you’ve earned your degree, you’ll need to pass a state and/or national exam and meet other licensing requirements in your particular field of study. Here are some of the requirements to practice in the following fields, according to the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses (IBOL). Make sure to consult the IBOL for the full requirements.


  • Master’s or doctoral degree in psychology granted by an accredited institution of higher learning
  • Two years of supervised experience acceptable to the board, one year of which may include a pre-doctoral practicum or internship and one of which must be postdoctoral
  • Passing scaled score of 500 on the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)

Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC)

  • A master’s or doctoral degree in counseling from an accredited university or college of at least 60 semester hours, six hours of which are earned in an advanced counseling practicum
  • A passing score on the National Counselor Examination (NCE) or acceptable substitution, such as the NMHCE
  • 2,000 hours of supervised direct client contact experience over the course of two years

Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT)

  • A master’s or doctoral degree of at least 60 semester hours or 90 quarter credits in marriage and family therapy from an accredited program
  • A passing score on the National Marital and Family Therapy Examination as approved by the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB)
  • A one-year practicum of supervised marriage and family therapy experience, consisting of a minimum of 300 direct client contact hours, of which 150 hours must be with couples or families as part of the graduate program
  • Supervised experience in marriage and family therapy of 3,000 hours, with a minimum of 200 hours of supervision of post-graduate work experience

Social Worker

There are three levels of social workers in Idaho: social worker (bachelor’s degree), master social worker (master’s degree) and clinical social worker (master’s or doctorate plus supervised post-graduate experience). To become a clinical social worker, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

  • Master’s degree or higher in social work from a CSWE-accredited program
  • Pass the clinical-level national exam administered by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB)
  • Applicants must have 3,000 hours of supervised social work experience within two to five years, including 1,750 hours of direct client contact, and 1,250 hours of assessment, diagnosis, and other clinical social work

For more details, consult the Idaho Board of Social Work Examiners.

Making the Most of Your Degree

It’s never too early to start thinking about your career. So during your studies, you should learn about the professional associations that accept students. Membership in organizations such as the Idaho Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers offers great benefits:

  • Access to job databases and community resources
  • Information about legislation that affects your work
  • Forums for interacting with peers and experts in your field
  • Consultation with advocates in your profession regarding legal and ethical issues

So which field of psychology is would be right for you: counselor, therapist, social worker or psychologist? Make sure to start off on the right foot, and research your degree options and licensure requirements from the start so that you’ll be efficient in your studies and, when the time comes, have all you need for licensure in your field.

Source: www.ibol.idaho.gov/IBOL/Home.aspx