Mental Health Counseling Overview: Quick Facts
Thinking of a career as a mental health counselor? See if your personality and counseling add up to a good fit.
What You'll Do
- Work with individuals, groups and communities
- Encourage clients to discuss emotions and experiences
- Examine issues like substance abuse, anger management, depression and relationships
- Help clients define goals, plan action and gain insight
- Refer clients to psychologists and other services
- Take a holistic (mind-body) approach to wellness
Compassion for others and a desire to help them through difficult times will help you succeed as a mental health counselor. Counselors play a vital role in a variety of community settings. Their deep commitment to improving daily life benefits every community. Learn which personal and professional traits you'll need to succeed in this career.
|Your are...||You should have...|
|Patient||Clear communication skills|
|Empathic||Good ethical standards|
|An excellent listener||Motivational skills|