Psychology Schools in Los Angeles
Find a great psychology career in the City of Angels by earning your psychology degree in Los Angeles.
The Essentials: Los Angeles
- Psychology Schools: The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, Loyola Marymount, UCLA
- Online Psychology Schools: Adler School, Capella University, University of Southern California
- Median Annual Psychologist Salary: $90,849*
- Potential Area Employers for Psychologists & Counselors: Children's Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, Twin Towers Correctional Facility
Psychology Schools in Los Angeles
By Kimberly Ross
With over 90 colleges, Los Angeles has a wealth of opportunities for reaching your psychology career goals. The Chicago School of Professional Psychology has a campus in Los Angeles and nearby Westwood, offering a wide range of psychology programs that include applied behavior analysis and clinical forensic psychology.
If you are interested in attending a larger school to pursue a psychology degree in Los Angeles, consider UCLA. At this esteemed university, both undergraduate and graduate students are strongly encouraged to participate in research labs throughout the campus. The school also has a psychology clinic and a relationship with community organizations through which students can gain work experience.
Other schools where you can earn a psychology degree in Los Angeles include University of Southern California, Loyola Marymount University and California State University.
Licensure and Psychology Associations
To practice psychology in Los Angeles, you must pass the qualifications to be licensed in California. Though these vary by your area of expertise, they include the completion of the appropriate degree program and field experience, a criminal background check and a passing score on the national examination for your field of study. In some cases the state also requires that you pass a supplemental examination, as well as a test on California laws and rules.
When you pursue a psychology degree in Los Angeles, you will also want to take advantage of area organizations that pertain to your field. Becoming a member of a professional association will not only increase your chances of finding work, it will also provide you with support throughout your career. Here are a few examples:
- Los Angeles Chapter of the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists
- Los Angeles County Psychological Association
- National Association of Social Workers: California Chapter
- Southern California Art Therapy Association
Sources: Salary.com's May 2012 Survey; Psychologist.
*The salary information listed is based on a national average, unless noted. Actual salaries may vary greatly based on specialization within the field, location, years of experience and a variety of other factors. National long-term projections of employment growth may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions, and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Psychology Degrees USA
Read About a City
Read About a State
Related Psychology Articles
- What is Human Services?
- Go Back to School in Psychology
- Here's How to Become a Counselor
- The Growth of Consumer Psychology & "Mad Men"
- Complete List of Psychology Salaries
- Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
- 5 Myths About Forensic Psychology (& Five Truths)
- What is Adult ADD?
- Job Settings for Psychology Students
- Could You Be a Substance Abuse Counselor?