Counseling Licensure Requirements by State
Read our quick reference guide to counseling license requirements by state.
Know Your State's Counseling License Requirements
Below is a quick reference guide to the state licensure boards for professional counselors.
Before choosing a counseling degree, be sure your program satisfies the counseling license requirements in your state and learn whether or not your area of counseling psychology needs to hold state-level counseling licensure.
For example, mental health counselors are required to have a counseling license, while vocational counselors may not. Counselor requirements vary for each state, so be sure you research requirements needed in where you would like to practice; also be sure to check any national licensing boards, as there may be a difference in criteria.
Find Counseling Licensure Requirements by State
Found Your State? Now Get Your Counseling License
Now that you have the official requirements for the state in which you'd like to begin—or relocate—your counseling practice in, it's time to put your plan for your counseling career future into action. Begin your career in counseling by finding the right school today.
National Association Links:
Related Psychology Articles
- What is Human Services?
- Go Back to School in Psychology
- Here's How to Become a Counselor
- The Growth of Consumer Psychology & "Mad Men"
- Complete List of Psychology Salaries
- Do You Have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
- 5 Myths About Forensic Psychology (& Five Truths)
- What is Adult ADD?
- Job Settings for Psychology Students
- Could You Be a Substance Abuse Counselor?